Did you know?

Alexander Garden

Alexander Garden was founded in 1820-1823. For a long time, the park was called Krimsky, but it was renamed in 1856 after Alexander I. The park consists of three parts: the Upper, Middle and Lower Gardens. The Upper Garden has many attractions, including the famous ‘Italian Grotto’. In the 16th-17th centuries, the Tsar’s physic garden — where medical plants grew — was located in the Middle Garden. Unfortunately, nowadays visitors can only find the ticket offices of the Moscow Kremlin Museum in this part of the park. Today, the Lower Garden is closed for visitors, but the Upper and Middle Gardens are still very popular. In fact, they are among the favourite places for both tourists and locals to visit.

Iberian (Voskresenskiye) Gate and Chapel

Voskresensky Gate, also known as Resurrection Gate, is the double drive-through gate of the Kitay-gorod Wall. Originally built in 1534-1538, today the gate is located between the State Historical Museum and the State Duma. The name was changed multiple times over 150 years until 1689, when the gate was finally named after the Resurrection Icon. The Iberian Chapel and Voskresensky Gate are considered among the most beautiful attractions in Moscow.

The Kazan Cathedral

The Kazan Cathedral was built on the Red Square, in memory of saving Moscow from the Polish-Lithuanian invasion in 1612. Nowadays, the Kazan Cathedral holds regular services and is considered one of the top attractions in Moscow.

Ivan the Great Bell Tower

Ivan the Great Bell Tower, located at the Cathedral Square of Moscow Kremlin, was built in 1508 by Italian architect Bon Fryazin, right where the small stone Church of Saint Ioann Lestvichnik used to be. Right now, the first floor is the Moscow Kremlin Museum, which exhibits artwork from the Kremlin collection, as well as other Russian and foreign museums. The exposition is known for its advanced multimedia technologies: old sights, Kremlin plans and sketches are reflected on the walls and arches of the belfry, in addition to unique images of the building’s architectural memorials and its unfulfilled reconstruction projects.

Manezhnaya Square

Located next to the Kremlin and Aleksandrovsky Sad (Alexander Garden), the Manezhnaya Square was named after the Manezh building (Moscow Manege) facing the square in 1937. The Manezh itself was built in 1817, in celebration of the fifth anniversary of Russia’s 1812 victory in the Patriotic War. Today the Manezhnaya Square, with its beautiful fountains and floral decorations, has become a favourite place for younger generations to spend their free time.

Victory Park, Poklonnaya Gora

Formerly a great hill, the now-flat Poklonnaya Gora is located in the west of central Moscow between the Filka and Setun rivers. First mentioned in the 16th century, Poklonnaya Gora was located far from the city at the time, surrounded by pastures which were not suitable for settling. At the time, travellers would stop on the hill, which had a magnificent view of Moscow and the surrounding area, and bow to the churches of the city. That’s how the hill got its name — in English, the name Poklonnaya Gora means ‘a hill where you take a bow’. Today Poklonnaya Gora is a favourite place among locals and tourists alike. In addition to museums, you can also find an amusement park, attend different cultural events and walk along the famous fountains, where traditionally people like to ride their bicycles and roller skate.

Moscow Hermitage Garden

Hermitage Garden was founded in the 1830s, and located at Bojedomka Street until the end of the 19th century. This was the first Moscow entertainment garden that included: clubs, theatres, cafés and pavilions. The modern Hermitage Garden was founded in 1894 by famous businessman J. Shchukin. It is the second garden, located right on Karetny Ryad Street, at the former estate of the merchant V. Olontsov. In 1991, the Moscow New Opera Theatre opened its doors, and remains one of three working theaters on the Hermitage Garden property. Nowadays, Hermitage Garden also hosts music festivals and plays.

Kolomenskoye Estate

Legend has it that Kolomenskoye village was founded by people from the town of Kolomna — specifically those who fled during the Batu Khan Invasion in the 1230s. The first written mention of Kolomenskoye dates from 1336: Descendants of Moscow Prince Ivan Kalita inherited Kolomenskoye as a Moscow area patrimony. In the centuries that followed, Kolomenskoye became the suburban residence of all the great Russian tsars and princes. Kolomenskoye is most famous for its spectacular park, which hosts traditional festivities around Christmastime and Maslenitsa.